1) Intensive Reading
- Used when you look through reference material or directories to quickly find small pieces of information.
- A skill that most people understand, but do not use nearly enough.
- Many individuals could increase their reading speed simply by using index pages of books to find the information they want.
- When the index/contents page fails, then you will be forced to skim. To skim a book, you read it in the following order:
(3b) The Conclusion/Introduction
(3c) For Each Relevant Chapter:
- First paragraph
- First and last sentence of other paragraphs
- By doing this, you can gain an overview of a book and from there you can decide if it is going to be useful.
[Source: X-Treme Speed Reading by James Abela]